[kde-edu]: Re: Next edu meeting. Please answer asap...

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat Nov 6 19:03:38 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Mario Fux <edu-ml at unormal.org> wrote:

> Good morning edu crowd
>
> I'm in the process of organizing another meeting and developer sprint in
> Randa
> next year. Somewhere around May or June 2011 but more about the date below.
>
> Last year the bigger group there consisted of Amarok and th multimedia guys
> and gals. The smaller group were you. And I'd like to make the small group
> constant in this meetings. And the small group consists of you. That means
> I'd
> like to provide you with infrastructure next year again.
>
> BTW: The other, bigger group next year consists of Nepomuk.
>
> I was already in contact with annma about this and she told me that she and
> Aleix [*] would like to be near a network (think school network) to work
> with
> them and on this topic. And we were not sure if KDE e.V. would pay for two
> meetings (my counter proposal: one meeting somewhere else about the network
> topic and one in Randa about data and Nepomuk...).
>
> Anyway annma proposed to bring this topic up here.
>
> What do you think? This discussion is about the offer of the location and
> organization? Not necessarily about the topic of the meeting. I just want
> fix the date to reserve the house, contact the cook and start to find
> sponsors.
>
> So I'd like to set a first deadline for a decision for the middle of next
> week. When there starts no big discussion I'll decide then about the
> smaller
> group of the next Randa meeting (Konquest 2011).
>
> And now two last things:
> - If you're interested I can ask the e.V. board if they would sponsor two
> meeting in Randa (when I don't find enough sponsors for the meeting).
> - Sebastian Trueg and me found a possible date for the meeting at the
> beginning of Juni 2011. Then are some free days or holidays respectively.
>
> Thx for any input or questions
> Mario
>
> [*][18:18] <annma> you can say in the mail that Aleix and me would prefer a
> location near a network but that it's up to all people to tell what they
> prefer

I have been in contact with a couple of universities that would be
interested on hosting a KDE Edu meeting, they would even have some people
who could help us (not with the same experience as Mario, of course :).

The thing is that I think that KDE Edu needs a lot of influence from the
education community that we're not getting, making the meetings happen in
schools or universities could help us with that. Also it would be nice if we
could invite some teachers to the meeting as well.

I can contact those people and ask them to give me some definitive answer.
(if anybody wants to contact them, you can ask me in private, I'm not
disclosing just because they can't promise anything).

Aleix