[kde-edu]: STEP inertia change

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Thu May 27 09:21:15 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 27. Mai 2010, um 05:14:35 schrieb Aditya C.S:
> The experiments won't break. I have tested it. But if there is any .step
> files other than the files i have fixed, please send those files to me. I
> will fix those also. According to my knowledge there is no other files, if
> suppose it's there send it to me i will fix that aslo

I know that experiments in kde >= 4.5 won't break, that is solved in your
patch.

But with the patched step from 4.5 you can't use any step file written with an
older step, that is the problem.
All step users can't work with the new step on their old experiments anymore,
opening a step file from kde < 4.5 the get the error message "Item \"%1\" has
no stored property named \"%2\"".

Even if I'd like to see this patch getting committed (because nearly all
translation of inertia are wrong), the backwards compatibility has to be
solved somehow:

* Either implement versioning of .step files or

* Give our users some help how to adapt their old step files (improve the error
message and explain how to fix this issue, add that to the handbook
documentation, provide a script to update the step files by changing inertia to
rotationalInertia ...)

Btw, the step handbook has an empty chapter kdeedu/doc/step/examples.docbook.
It would be great to improve that by describing the examples shipped with
step.
You dont need to write docbook for that, just send plain text and I'll markup
it and add it to the docbook.

--
Burkhard Lück