[kde-edu]: Internationalization

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Mon May 24 23:27:19 CEST 2010

Am Montag, 24. Mai 2010, um 22:36:51 schrieb Fernando Bordignon:
> Hi Burkhard,
> thanks very much for your reply!
>
> I18n is a hard requirement for any application in the kde main modules and
>
> extragear, whithout that an application will never pass the review stage.
>

> I realized that with a little reading of the kde sites.
>
> > So you won't find any applications here without working i18n wise.
> >
> > Of course there are some apps in kdeedu with i18n bugs like step, some of
> > them
> > hard to solve, but does that fullfill the requirements of your course?
>
> I don think so, but I will try to convince my teacher, if he accepts the
> debugging work I will contact you for more details. Thank you for the
> suggestion!
>
> The teacher gave us a link with some software without i18n, but almost all
> of them are discontinued and will end up helping nobody.
> Maybe I need to go to the way of someone that didn't have the i18n concept
> in mind when the software was first coded, anyone that would like to bring
> a project to the kde apps collection.
> So if someone has a piece of code that needs some action in that direction
> please let me know.

There is a task in the kde i18n workflow, which will easily fullfill all
requirements of your teacher/course, and this would be a big benefit for kde.

All translations in kde are done in gettext catalogs (po files) with software
like lokalize.

1) gui translation via gettext is in general easy, even if it needs a lot of
work to keep the i18n tool chain smoothly running.

2) documentation translation is done via extracting translatable messages from
*.docbook files to gettext pofiles and back.

3) What is really missing in this workflow is extraction of messages from xml
files like the contextinfo (html) files in step/step/data/objinfo to gettext
(po) files and back.
That seems to be a really tricky task, if you are interested in this issue,
please contact our i18n coordinator (cc'ed) Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>.

Thanks.

--
Burkhard Lück