[kde-edu]: Octave backend for Cantor - Any interest?

Alexander Rieder alexanderrieder at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 21:03:11 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 31 March 2010 18:12:51 Miha Čančula wrote:
> There's an idea for a Octave backend in Cantor an the Techbase page. We're
> doing a numerical methods course in school this year, and we're using
> octave, so I'm used to it. I would also like a nice graphical front-end,
> and this would be a nice project for Summer of Code.
>
> The things is, there's also QtOctave, which is Qt-only, but still quite
> alright. I use it for my assighnments and found it has a few quirks, but is
> usable as is.
>
> What I'm wondering is: is there any interest for an octave plugin while
> there's already a (not as nice, but still) graphical frontend for it?

Hi,
We're always intersted in enabling more Mathematical packages to be used with
Cantor. I never really used QtOctave as a frontend, but I'd definately use the
Cantor backend if it's available, as I really like the Worksheet approach.
If you want to give a go on writing the backend I'd be available to help you,
with all your questions.
If you want do partecipate in the GSoC program, you can writeup a nice
proposal and send it to google, I can probably act as mentor.

best regards,
Alexander