[kde-edu]: R: Re: R: Re: R: Re: icee [chemistry]

TRINGALINVENT at libero.it TRINGALINVENT at libero.it
Wed Jun 16 20:45:48 CEST 2010

I know, but in July-August I'm in holyday, so I will have a lot of spare time
to dedicate
to this project.

>There are a few points to examine, following some conclusions we reached at
>the Edu meeting in May:
> - try to not make too narrow-target programs: what is the target (age or
>student grade) for your program? can it be extended at a sort of chemistry
>lab?
Actually we use it at the university of Trieste (Italy) in the analitical
chemistry lab,
the class of Dr. Gabriele Balducci that developed this software many years
ago.
Now I rewrote the code in a more modern way.
>- focus on how teachers and students can share data: nothing integrated so
far
>for this in your program
It is not necessary to share data, because this program is useful only to know
the solution
of a analitical question or seeing results of an experimental titration. They
will
share these data simply because students must write a report for the teacher.
Icee make easier many calculations, expecially for the "best fit" algorithm
to find out the equivalence point of a titration. These calculations could be
done
also with a hand calculator, but it would take hours: Icee does all
automatically.
>- use existing open format whenever possible: what about the format you
made?
>is it possible to use an existing free format (making sharing data easier)
Probably a ods file could be used in a strange way to save Icee project file,
but this
doesn't have any sense: there are no other programs doing what Icee does, so
also if we use another format for project files, there will be no other
program to
use them rather than Icee.
>Additionally the GUI design does not seem the best, I find it quite
cluttered.
>The plot seems very rough too. Needs some usability tests.
I know, I would like to integrate the KmPlot plot widget. Obiously the plot
doesn't
have a real utility: the lab reports, in fact, need only the result given in
"Note".
Anyway i found that for many students the presence of a plot is useful to
coprehend
the chemical dynamics of a system, so I wrote that simple widget with  QImage.
This is a thing I really want to improve, but I released it as it is because
actually we
are finishing lessons and students needs Icee to prepare lab reports.

Thank you for the questions.

Luca Tringali