[kde-edu]: Math formats in KDE Edu

Sabine Cretella s.cretella at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 23:12:48 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Sabine Cretella <s.cretella at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Aleix, may I please see some examples (files etc.)? I would like to show
>> them to Bèrto. Eventually Ambaradan could be a solution, but I cannot tell
>> right now. We really have to see what we are talking about. This would also
>> help with localization.
>>
> I don't know what is Ambaradan. For now I'm just talking about text
> documents with embedded images, videos and formulas.

Ambaradan is a storage engine used to store plain text, images, audio,
video. We are not able to store formatted text. Storing files in rtf, odt,
pdf format and working as file repository as well is an option for the
future (future means probably a year from now). Formatting inside the text
is not possible.

We are going to serve .kvtml data for Parley as soon as the more detailed
export script is ready and in approx. 1-2 month we will get into geodata for
Marble (these two are results from Randa). Therefore it sounded logical to
me to see if there is a way to co-operate on this as well.
.

Also consider that Parley's next version can use LaTeX - I already made some
>> simple fraction exercises for my kids this way and it works quite fine.
>>
> I think we should use MathML generally in KDE Edu, it's faster to display,
> it's being used in KAlgebra and a W3C standard. Of course it's worse for
> writing but we have MathML editors.

MathML is xml so as long as data is inserted in pure text format it can be
exported in a specific xml format like the one mentioned.

Translation within Ambaradan right now is not possible, but we are
multilanguage on the basis. Of course, a translation interface can be
programmed, but we don't have the time to do that right now, so somebody
else should then jump in if that becomes necessary.

I think that's all ... not sure though.

Cheers, Sabine