[kde-edu]: New Website edu.kde.org

Matthias Meßmer matthias at familie-messmer.de
Sat Jun 5 18:20:23 CEST 2010

Hello,

here are some of my thoughts about the new edu.kde.org site:

1. News

Currently we have sperate news for several apps stored in .rdf files
under the app's folder (/kalzium/news.rdf). I managed to merge all
exisitng news sorted by date descending into a common news page. Every
news entry is linked to the new app overview page. Links to the full
news content is missing yet.

-> Do we need menu entries for every app with exisitng news here. Please
notice, that some of them are quite outdated...

2. About Us

On http://community.kde.org/Multimedia/Sprint2010/Notes/Website there is
only a hint to Vox Humanitatis.

-> What else shall be listed here?

3. Applications

We have a work around to manage all edu apps sorted by subcategories of
"Education".

-> Which categories are really useful?

In addition I developped a page listing all applications. This section
is more or less a copy of www.kde.org/applications

But here no place for additional content like kvtml files or kturtle
examples and so on.

4. Contact US

Most entries here are more or less just external links or one line
infos. Seperate menu entries or pages seems a bit overkill imho.

Generals issues:

Information about KDE are scattered across many many web sites. Only
some are listed here: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/kde.org/Site_Status

With a menu/content structure described above we could have trouble to
host all the currently existing content on edu.kde.org. So information
about our edu apps would be scattered across several web sites, too,
especially userbase.kde.org and techbase.kde.org

-> Visitors need to know what to find where.
-> Maintainers need some guidlinee what to save where.
-> We should maintain cross links as many as possible.

You can have a look at work in progress here:
http://edu.angelaschule-osnabrueck.de

Best regards!

Matthias