[kde-edu]: plasma edu

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 15 19:01:02 CEST 2010

On July 15, 2010, Agustín Benito Bethencourt (Toscalix) wrote:
> a.- No readers (do not know how to read)

this group is probably fairly difficult to target, but today's non-readers are
insanely good with computer interfaces as they are exposed to them at a very
young age. Till was telling us at Akademy about is ~2 year old daughter and
how she can already use his n900 quite proficiently. so i wouldn't count them
out, but i also wouldn't pretend to be able to provide something useful from
an educational POV without the guidance of early education experts.

> b.- Neo-readers (in the process of learning how to read)
> c.- readers (they read but their comprehensive level is not mature)

i think these are our core targets right now for Plasma Classroom: young
people who are learning to read or have basic reading skills. this means that
we don't have to do too much hand-holding (likely already exposed to some sort
of computer interfaces), we can use some text (but nothing sophisticated), and
the UI will still need to rely a lot on icons, pictures and positioning.

> d.- "Adults" they read and has normal comprehensive level

they also have more experience with traditional computers. i don't think we
need to concentrate too much on providing support services directly for them.

> From the layout point of view this four groups are different.

yes :)

> There are several point to have in consideration to choose the target.
>
> a.- What do kde-edu people prefer to go for in first place (and planma
> devs)

i think the plasma devs have spoken on this point already; but we're open to
new ideas, of course. what i do want to avoid is either waiting too long for
feedback and nothing getting done due to the devs just sitting and waiting
(which won't happen; we'll end up doing something else ;) or starting
developing something too soon and finding out it isn't helpful / useful.

which is why we're starting with a design document, then will move to
soliciting feedback from educators, then to implementation. does that make
sense?

> b.- Where the demand comes from. Maybe we can ask deployers about
> which want should be done first.

i think we can look at what they are currently doing in their deployments and
work from that, which is what we're doing right now. i also doubt many of the
deployers are very aware of what we already provide; the javascript layout
control is probably news to many, for instane.

> c.- Maybe I can ask Linex (probably SkoleLinux people also can do this)
> about the ffedback they've got from their experiences with these layouts
> done with gnome thay have.

good idea; that feedback would be welcome.

> d.- What apps do we want to promote, I mean, for whom are edu apps
> designed.

yes, the different apps definitely fall into different user segments and
should be promoted at different age groups. that sounds like a topic for a
separate thread, though.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se