[kde-edu]: Review Request: KWordQuiz: Right Justify option for arabic

Peter Hedlund peter at peterandlinda.com
Tue Jan 19 21:38:31 CET 2010

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 12:23:59 pm Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hi,

> > If I read the documentation for isRightToLeft() correctly it can only be
> >
> >  used on the widget level. Want to have different layout directions in
> >  different columns of a QTableView. In my opinion this is a regression in
> >  Qt since QTable in Qt 3 handled this automatically. The report
> >  http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-6882 partly addresses the
> >  problem, but I think it is more general than stated there.
>
> Ok, I haven't even looked at a single line of code and I'm totally out of
> the loop...
> From what I gather this is about right to left text, right?
> And while we can switch all of KDE that is hardly wanted if it's not the
> mother language. So what we'd need is rtl for only one column/widget at a
> time?

Yes, exactly.

> How do we know if a language is rtl? is there some automatic way? I had a
> quick look at KGlobal/KLocal but didn't see anything related there.

Well, the point here is that Qt usually is pretty good at dealing with this
automatically (http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/internationalization.html#step-by-
step). Our problem is that in QTableView it's not handled correctly but in
QLabel and QLineEdit it normally "just works". I would guess this is done by
looking for particular unicode characters, but that is more than I know.

Peter