[kde-edu]: inclusion of MathematiK in kdeedu

Alexander Rieder alexanderrieder at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 00:21:39 CEST 2009

On Monday 24 August 2009 13:31:34 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Le lundi 24 août 2009 12:29:44, Kevin Krammer a écrit :
> > On Friday, 2009-08-21, Alexander Rieder wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > For the last months I've been coding on an application in Playground
> > > called MathematiK(but I'm open for better name suggestions). It's a
> > > frontend for other free software mathematics projects, giving them a
> > > nice KDE-based Worksheet view like Maple or Mathematica offer. Lately
> > > it has matured quite a bit, so I decided to ask you for inclusion into
> > > the KDE Edu 4.4 release, it's not perfect yet, but following the
> > > "release early, release often" philosophy I'm really looking forward to
> > > get more people testing it. How do you think about this? What are the
> > > steps I have to make to get MathematiK included?
> >
> > Of course this is totally up to you, but I would recommend thinking about
> > a different name before inclusion.
> >
> > One thing is that KDE programs in general moved away from highlighting K
> > somewhere within the name by uppercasing it, because people never get
> > this right when writing about it.
> >
> > Another thing is that it is extremely close to one of the competitor's
> >  name.
> >
> > Maybe there is some famous mathematician with K initials or a mathematic
> > technique (similar to the product that it named "Derive")
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> I totally agree with that.
>
> A short reminder about the moving to kdeedu:
>
> The process for inclusion in kdeedu is to first move the application to
> kdereview and at the same time to describe it to kde-core-devel mailing
>  list and ask for inclusion in kdeedu. The basic requirements are that it's
>  as much as possible based on kdelibs, it builds well, it has a complete
>  doc and it is i18n ready. Having a usability study for it and ensuring you
>  did some profiling are nice additions.
> The application will stay for 2 weeks in kdereview where it gets peer
>  review (usually in the form of answers on the kde-core-devel mailing list)
>  If no problems are discovered it can be moved to kdeedu and a bug
>  component canbe created for it as well as webpages. You might also
>  considere to blog about it and to aggregate your blog on Planet KDE to
>  create a buzz!
>
> More on http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Guidelines
>
> Best regards,
>
> Anne-Marie

Hi,
I've decided to rename MathematiK to Kantor (after Georg Cantor, the creator
of set theory). I have a local checkout where the names are replaced, but
what's the best way to commit it? Should I first commit the renamings, then
rename the subdir in playground/edu (and move to kdereview at a second
moment), or should I just skip the renaming of the subdir, and directly move
trunk/playground/mathematik to /trunk/kdereview/kantor? What's the best way to
do this renaming? How about the translations (at which point should
messages.sh export to kantor.po istead of mathematik.po?) Is there anything
else that needs to be done?

thanks,
Alexander