[kde-edu]: URGENT: Rocs inclusion and kdeedu module future

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Wed Nov 4 11:26:53 CET 2009

2009/11/3 Tomaz Canabrava <tumaix at gmail.com>:
> I Agree with you Alexi,
> I have commented with annma about a kde-scientific specially about the
> kids vs grown ups apps,  there are apps that both enjoy, like marble,
> but a kid with cantor maybe will get scared running after mom, ( and
> cantor is a sweet app, I'm using it atm ). maybe we need to specify
> where that program will apply, for instance kbruch is till 4th grade,
> and Rocs and Cantor are College ones.

But with some applications it's harder. For example I've been using
Kalzium since I was in year 10 (age ~14 years) and still use it now
when I'm doing my Physics PhD. It's the same with KStars I guess.
These applications are so useful to such a great range of ages that
it's hard to classify them.

I think by this point _most_ of the applications are applicable to a
large range of ages and there's only a few which are aimed just at
children (and even those can be used with adults with learning
difficulties) and so a hard split doesn't make sense. I think the
current system of putting each application into one or more categories
is the simplest and does the job we need.

While I do like the idea of a kdescience module I think that in the
long-run, marketing kdeedu as an almost standalone package could be a
good thing. We need to get the public out of the "it's just a few edu
apps bundled with kde" attitude and into the "it's a great suite of
edu and scientific apps (built on the KDE libraries)"

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com