[kde-edu]: Custom Turtle / Re: Kturtle

Niels Slot nielsslot at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:52:10 CEST 2009

2009/5/28 Mauricio Piacentini <piacentini at kde.org>

> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:14 AM, RalfGesellensetter <rgx at gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Mittwoch 27 Mai 2009 23:11:26 Niels Slot wrote:
> >> I can imagine that this isn't the most convient way to change the
> sprite.
> >> Implementing a 'changesprite' command wouldn't be very difficult. If
> there
> >> is demand for such a feature, I might consider putting it into KTurtle.
> >
> > Hi Niels, and thanks for clarifying!
>
> There was a proposal to add multiple sprites and the ability to change
> the sprite visual. I believe it is not that difficult code-wise, and
> Niels have laid the groundwork for it already. It is just that not
> much happened between 4.2 and 4.3 (our fault)...

Not sure which groundwork you're referring to. I did some work on allowing
multiple turtles to exist, but that wasn't directly related to different
sprites. Starting with the KTurtle version in KDE 4.0, it hasn't been hard
to change the sprite file, since KTurtle uses SVG.

> > Let's discuss what is more useful:
> > - letting users fiddle around with local versions of a turtle (or robot
> or
> >  hedgehog or whatsoever)
> > - providing a theme/skin feature that allows to chose out from 3-4
> sensible
> >  themes (as done in khangman or ktuberling). Those themes could be
> extended
> >  (or not).
> >
> > At the moment I'd slightly prefer the second option (which is of course
> harder
> > to implement and) ...
>
> It is not that much harder. The main problem (as I see it) is that it
> makes scripts dependable upon the presence of resources. So we have to
> provide the option of failing gracefully if a given asset (svg element
> id or file) is not present. Another option could be to "bundle" the
> non-default SVG with the scripts, if KTurtle detects that a
> non-default one is being used.
> For simplicity, I think we can add a set of sprites as you suggested
> (hedgehog, robot, turtle, bird) to the default theme. And then let
> people select a new one as well, with something like

I think we should ultimately try to have some sort of packaged option. I
hope we can reuse some of the code used in Plasma for their packages. A
KTurtle program would then consist of the script, and all the SVG files and
other resources (sounds, backgrounds anyone?) required by the program.

This approach should also work great in combination with GHNS as Anne-Marie
suggested in another mail. We could maybe also use GHNS for these SVG files
themselves. This way a user would be able to use GHNS to make his KTurtle
program look nicer by just clicking on the 'Download more sprites' button.

> settheme "myfile.svg"

Putting a filename in a KTurtle command seems wrong to me. I think it would
be better to change the sprite by a more human name. Ideally this would be a
translated name for the sprite or theme. For example, in the English version
a 'settheme "hedgehog"' command would be possible. The Dutch version would
have the command 'zetthema "egel"' ('egel' being the Dutch word for
hedgehog).

Niels