[kde-edu]: Custom Turtle / Re: Kturtle

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Thu May 28 16:26:21 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:14 AM, RalfGesellensetter <rgx at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Mittwoch 27 Mai 2009 23:11:26 Niels Slot wrote:
>> I can imagine that this isn't the most convient way to change the sprite.
>> Implementing a 'changesprite' command wouldn't be very difficult. If there
>> is demand for such a feature, I might consider putting it into KTurtle.
>
> Hi Niels, and thanks for clarifying!

There was a proposal to add multiple sprites and the ability to change
the sprite visual. I believe it is not that difficult code-wise, and
Niels have laid the groundwork for it already. It is just that not
much happened between 4.2 and 4.3 (our fault)...

> Let's discuss what is more useful:
> - letting users fiddle around with local versions of a turtle (or robot or
>  hedgehog or whatsoever)
> - providing a theme/skin feature that allows to chose out from 3-4 sensible
>  themes (as done in khangman or ktuberling). Those themes could be extended
>  (or not).
>
> At the moment I'd slightly prefer the second option (which is of course harder
> to implement and) ...

It is not that much harder. The main problem (as I see it) is that it
makes scripts dependable upon the presence of resources. So we have to
provide the option of failing gracefully if a given asset (svg element
id or file) is not present. Another option could be to "bundle" the
non-default SVG with the scripts, if KTurtle detects that a
non-default one is being used.
For simplicity, I think we can add a set of sprites as you suggested
(hedgehog, robot, turtle, bird) to the default theme. And then let
people select a new one as well, with something like

settheme "myfile.svg"

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini