[kde-edu]: 2009 introspective

Jeremy Whiting jeremy at scitools.com
Tue May 12 17:26:15 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 03:08:49 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> On lundi 04 mai 2009 21:59:09 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > If you're feeling extra helpful, you might want to also provide some
> > input on:
> >
> > * What are the major pain points in your project right now?
>
> - release cycle too short for casual contributors: all KDE-Edu developers
> are either working or students and for most of them, they do not seem able
> to meet the current release schedule. After 4.1 was out I see very few
> activity in terms of new ideas, directions to follow, group synergy,...

I agree completely on this, the release cycle seems too short to get
meaningful work done by those of us not working on kde full time. (Admittedly
I haven't even been working on it part time, but I am trying to get back into
it more)

> - lack of a  coordinator: I have had  very little time due to family
> priorities to glue the project together and make it a team. I said I would
> organize and edu meeting which I did not do. Maybe I did not give enough
> space to other people to step in?

I've been out of the loop wrt edu team but I can imagine how lack of annma
could affect it =)  Anne-Marie, I think you are doing fine, I think if someone
wanted to step in they would, maybe you should recruit/nudge someone =)

> - Too little integration with the rest of KDE: few interest from our team
> for the educational desktop for example
> - Not being able to integrate core developers (we integrate students but we
> need a few core developers who would make us a team)

just my 2c =)

Jeremy Whiting