[kde-edu]: Draw math functions: improving features (about KmPlot and KAlgebra)

Percy Camilo Triveño Aucahuasi percy.camilo.ta at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 09:48:27 CET 2009

Hello everyone, first of all, I like to apologize for not being able to
coordinate -on time- the integration between KAlgebra and KmPlot (
http://community.kde.org/KDEEdu/Meeting20091119IRC#Action_to_be_taken)

I've been working lately on the subject and I think that the best way to
achieve a correct integration is through the creation of a library. The
library would have the functionality to draw functions. The library would
consist of:
1. The code that have to be reused (from KmPlot and/or KAlgebra)
2. Improved charting methods for certain types of functions, for example:
http://picasaweb.google.com/percy.camilo.ta/Prototypes#5372699016203439730
3. New charting methods.

The features of the library for plotting curves will be:
1. [2D] Explicit functions (already in KmPlot and KAlgebra)
2. [2D] Explicit functions in polar coordinates (already in KmPlot and
KAlgebra)
3. [2D] Implicit functions (already in KmPlot, but can be improved)
4. [2D] Parametric curves (already in KmPlot recently in KAlgebra)
5. [3D] Parametric curves (not implemented)

The features of the library for plotting surfaces will be:
1. Explicit functions in Cartesian coordinates (already in KAlgebra)
2. Explicit functions in spherical and cylindrical coordinates (not
implemented)
3. Parametric surfaces (not implemented)
4. Implicit surfaces (not implemented)

Finally, the library would be responsible for managing all the graphics with
a widget that has the thumbnails of each graph ... a proposal of the
concept:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkdRKTyLyxM
This widget would be a tab inside KAlgebra ...

The idea of having a library is that in the future (>> KDE 4.5) we can
customize/add features (eg draw vector fields, draw fractal curves, have
some scripting system, etc). This is the proposal, I would be happy to hear
some comments ;)

Cheers,
Percy