[kde-edu]: inclusion of MathematiK in kdeedu

Alexander Rieder alexanderrieder at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 01:45:13 CEST 2009

Hi,

For the last months I've been coding on an application in Playground called
MathematiK(but I'm open for better name suggestions). It's a frontend for
other free software mathematics projects, giving them a nice KDE-based
Worksheet view like Maple or Mathematica offer. Lately it has matured quite a
bit, so I decided to ask you for inclusion into the KDE Edu 4.4 release, it's
not perfect yet, but following the "release early, release often" philosophy
I'm really looking forward to get more people testing it. How do you think
about this? What are the steps I have to make to get MathematiK included?

Some of the current features are:
- Nice Worksheet view for evaulating Expression
- View of plotting results inside the worksheet
- Easy plugin based structure to add different Backends
- Backends for:
  - the Sage mathematics software (http://www.sagemath.org)
  - the Maxima Computer Algebra System (http://maxima.sourceforge.net/)
  - the R project for Statistical computing (http://www.r-project.org/)
- GetHotNewStuff integration to up/download example worksheets
- Typesetting of mathematical formulas using LaTeX
- Syntax highlighting depending on the chosen backend
- Plugin based assistant dialogs for common tasks (like integrating a function
or entering a matrix)

Cheers,
Alexander Rieder