[kde-edu]: KTouch development info

Andreas Nicolai Andreas.Nicolai at gmx.net
Mon Sep 29 13:22:16 CEST 2008

Hi again,

to anser Pino's questions:

> What is the real reason behind this?
> This is a partial nonsense, Phonon is mandatory for KDE 4, and you cannot
> build any KDE 4 application without Phonon.

At first, sound support in KTouch isn't really working anyway. The desired
effect, a type-writer-like sound when pressing a key did not work with the
old sound system, and does not with the new one. The Phonon::GameCategory
backend (which I was told would be the type to choose for this kind of
application) is also not working/implemented.

Right now this leaves KTouch with a number of "Sound options" that do not
have any effect at all to the program. Instead of removing the options, I
created the define to improve the quality of the program (= remove
currently useless options). As soon as Phonon is sufficiently well
implemented and working, the flag can be removed again. Until then, KTouch
is silent, but at least it meets the QA criteria.

> Phonon works under Windows, from what I know. If there is a problem, then
> instead of "waiting for $something", then please contact the Windows guys
> about that, instead of working around with a non-solution.

When I install the KTouch version on Windows it complains about a missing
libphonon.dll. So probably the dependencies are not set correctly for the
KDEEDU programs. By removing the linkage to (the yet unused) Phonon
library, this problem is also fixed. Priority-wise, I think that reviewing
the lectures and keyboards in KTouch is more important than fixing the
sound, so IMHO the compile-time flag for the build system seems a workable
solution.

However, I would greatly appreciate if someone has the time and expertise
to get KTouch working with neat type-writer sound.

Bye,
Andreas