[kde-edu]: [Fwd: Advice in contributing to KDE-Edu]

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon Jun 23 16:39:49 CEST 2008

Hi, list. The purpose of this email is to introduce Leandro, Paulo and
Tiago to the KDE Edu community. I had a very nice meeting with them last
Friday here in Sao Paulo, and I think they can be a welcome addition to
the efforts of our group.
I paste below some of our earlier correspondence from past week. But
basically my suggestion to them is that we can start this collaboration
on different fronts, and directly integrated into the project-wide
policies. One of their ideas is to work on usability reviews for
example, so I suggested that they join kde-usability and maybe start by
conducting an usability study of one of our applications. Any volunteers?
The coding effort at first should probably happen via patches, branches
or playground (for new applications that they might want to suggest.)
For the applications that have maintainers, my advice is to use the list
as the primary method of contact and exchange of information, and submit
patches and suggestions directly. I must say that their main concern was
how to participate in the project and not "step on anyone's toes" :)
 From my experience with this group, and KDE Games, this should not be a
problem. I think this integration will happen naturally, as KDE-Edu is a
very warm community, and we can only benefit from having more people
joining our group and dedicating time to improve our software.

One of the good things regarding this effort is the fact that their lab
has sponsors and grants that guarantee that at least some projects might
get completed in the time allocated for it, as opposed to our purely
volunteer style of contribution. It could be interesting to see how
these efforts can work together, something along the lines of what we
already do with Kevin's students, or GSoC projects. I also asked them to
consider attending Akademy, but I am not sure they will be able to do it
this year, as there is not much time for travel arrangements.

Introductions made, now let's get to work! Guys, please join the list,
and welcome.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini