[kde-edu]: OT: Konqueror in Education

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jun 13 18:05:39 CEST 2008

On Friday 13 June 2008, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Am Freitag 13 Juni 2008 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > This usually works out of the box without any change, i.e. the
> > default for the java command is just "java" and the java executable
> > is usually in $PATH
>
> I see.
>
> > Is it probably pickung up a wrong executable, e.g. not the one in
> > /usr/bin but one in a more local directory which actually isn't a
> > working Java RE?
>
> Possibly. However 'which java' delivers
> /usr/bin/java.

Probably a different environment when startkde is executed than when Konsole
runs a shell, e.g. bash reads different files when it is interactive, a login
shell, etc.

> My workaround is to delete all users' konquerorrc and globally define
> java settings in /etc/kde3/konquerorrc.

If you run into this problem again, you can use the "immutable" option of
KDE's Kiosk framework:

http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Kiosk/Introduction#KDE.27s_Configuration_File_Structure_and_Hierarchy

An entry, group or file marked an immutable in a "higher" config (e.g. system
wide) can not be overwritten in a "lower" config (e.g. user local)

Btw, in case you are interested in a mailinglist for people who maintain
larger KDE deployments, there is kde-kiosk (very low traffic)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring