[kde-edu]: Phonon freezes KTouch

Andreas Nicolai Andreas.Nicolai at gmx.net
Sun Sep 30 23:11:03 CEST 2007

Hi there,

I just compiled the most current kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase and kdeedu
SVN versions and found that KTouch was freezing during start up. The
problem is the Phonon library, after initializing the Xine-backend and
selecting the output plugin the execution just stopped.

In my local copy I simply commented out the lines where m_player in
KTouchTrainer is initialized (the lines with Phonon::createPlayer() ), and
now it works nicely again.

This should be checked and tested when the October KDE4 release is made.
Given the fact, that Phonon is not quite ready, I would even suggest
leaving out (= not compile) the sound part in KTouch until KDE's
sound/multimedia engine works.  What do you think?

Bye,
Andreas

Andreas Nicolai                         anicolai at syr.edu
PhD Candidate, M.A.M.E                  (315) 443-2641
Syracuse University
151 Link Hall
Syracuse, NY, 13244