[kde-edu]: Question! Re: Need help revising KTouch keyboards

Andreas Nicolai Andreas.Nicolai at gmx.net
Thu Sep 27 03:09:56 CEST 2007

Hi Anne-Marie and everyone else planning to work on keyboard files for
KTouch!

Sorry for the missing documentation for the keyboard editor, but here's a
short introduction.

At first, I didn't think much about the naming of the keyboard layouts, so
I guess either one of "Dvorak French" or "French (Dvorak)" would be ok.
I'd prefer the second one, though.

For the usage of the editor: The basic principle is that you first have to
click on a key to change it. Then you will see the different input widges
updated and the key will be highlighted in the editor. Next you set the
appearance of the key by typing the different key characters in the four
text edits. If only one character is typed to the top left, it will be
shown bigger (as for the normal single character keys). If more characters
are shown on the keyboard, the characters will be drawn smaller in each
corner of the key. Extra keys can be added using the Add button. Move the
keys by dragging them or typing in coordinates of the keys in the
position/geometry input widgets. In any case it is recommended to start
with an existing keyboard layout (load the german or english ones) and
simply modify the keyboard.

After the visual layout of the keyboard is complete, you need to define
key connectors. These are the characters that are accessible by pressing a
key by itself or in combination with a modifier key. For instance, on a
German keyboard, the key Q also has the lower case q, the upper case Q
(key + shift) and the @ character (key + Alt Gr). You need to define all
those for each key. If you defined a wrong key connection, you can delete
all connectors for the current key and start over.

Once complete, save the keyboard and test it with some lecture that
contains all characters (create one, if necessary).

Practicing language input methods is a separate issue and would be very
difficult to handle in a touch typing program as KTouch. From my recent
trip to China I know that most college students tend to learn touch typing
with english texts on english keyboards (there is no chinese keyboard
layout, the US english keyboard layout is used). And since chinese
characters are mostly typed using the Pinyin input method, which is typing
the phonetics of the chinese characters without accentuation and after
finishing a symbol/word selecting the correct symbol combination, knowing
how to type quickly on an english keyboard is the only major requirement.
Hence, particularly for the pinyin system a chinese practice lecture would
be nice, where you simply type chinese texts using pinyin, minus the
symbol selection part (which means pressing the left cursor key once or
twice and then up and down until the correct symbol appears).

Anyway, let me know if some usage questions are still left open.

Bye,
Andreas

Andreas Nicolai                         anicolai at syr.edu
PhD Candidate, M.A.M.E                  (315) 443-2641
Syracuse University
151 Link Hall
Syracuse, NY, 13244