[kde-edu]: KVTML files for Mandarin Chinese

Kasim Terzic kasim.terzic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 17:58:23 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have generated some kvtml files for Mandarin Chinese, after I saw
that there were none. Please find the following files in the attached
archive:

hsk1.kvtml - List of characters from the HSK-A set (Basic)
hsk2.kvtml - List of characters from the HSK-B set (Basic)
hsk3.kvtml - List of characters from the HSK-C set (Elementary/Intermediate)
hsk4.kvtml - List of characters from the HSK-D set (Advanced)

top500.kvtml - The 500 most common characters, sorted by frequency
next500.kvtml - The next 500 most common characters

The files are in utf-8 and work best with a Unicode font. They should
also work well with a good GB font.

The HSK tables were taken from
http://www.chinese-forums.com/vocabulary/, which seems to be free and
is used by online dictionaries all over the web. The HSK is the
standard Chinese proficiency test required for people wishing to
work/study in China and a common way to gauge progress.

The frequency tables were taken from
http://lingua.mtsu.edu/chinese-computing/statistics/char/list.php?Which=TO
(WARNING: large document), which is a university research project and
in the public domain as far as I can tell.

The translations were taken from the CEDICT project,
http://www.mandarintools.com/cedict.html, which uses a liberal,
Creative Commons-like licence, which I included in the tarball.

I have tested the files with KVocTrain 0.8.3.

Please let me know if this is useful for the KDE Edu project and can
be distributed with other data files. If there is interest, I could
also generate the vocabulary lists (not just characters) for the
different HSK levels.

cosmo