[kde-edu]: KEPA: kde4 Edu Portable Apps (for Windows)?

Ben Crawford crawford_ben at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 23 21:05:02 CET 2007

I can see plenty of great opportunities for standalone/portable apps.  Two situations come straight from my experiences at the school I teach at.

Situation 1:
My situation is a teacher.  I have been experimenting with a lot of software (specifically KDE-Edu apps) as a teacher, but at our school we are running a Windows network and our technician is overworked enough and is not the least bit interested in the thought of installing/supporting/fixing/patching/updating/etc. pre-release software.  I have at least 2 classes that I could be testing with (50 young and eager testers!!) but no real feasible way of actually doing this.  (Note that we are both Linux enthusiasts and I've been making a push for some Linux at the school but this is met with a lot of resistance)

Situation 2:
I've done a small amount of testing (in terms of viable software - current stable Kde-Edu only) using live boot Linux cds with a small class - this avoided the support issues in the above situation.  The students were very interested in using some of the software at home.  However, at my school things are a bit behind the times and not all students have access to reliable internet.  If it were possible to upload standalone/portable apps to a usb stick for them then they could test, report back to me, and I could pass on their findings. (Some people are very reluctant to try live boot cds even after reassurances that they will not do a thing to their computers)

I'm sure there are other similar and different situations, I've just mentioned the 2 that I have experience with.

I appreciate all of the hard work that the kde-edu people put in on all fronts.  A job very well done!!

Cheers,
Ben

      Looking for a X-Mas gift?  Everybody needs a Flickr Pro Account.

http://www.flickr.com/gift/