[kde-edu]: [3.5] KApplication::invokeBrowser() question

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Wed May 23 19:14:27 CEST 2007

Hello,

I just got a bug report[1] that indicates a user can't get KStars to open URLs
when run from GNOME.  The error message is:
Error: could not launch the browser  Could not find service "kfmclient"

KStars uses KApplication::invokeBrowser(), which is supposed to use the user's
configured browser, and as I understand it, should work fine under GNOME.  My
understanding is that "kfmclient" is a small utility that opens the user's
preferred browser.  Obviously, this user doesn't have kfmclient installed.

So this is probably a packaging issue, but I don't know enough about it to
advise the user.  The bug report indicates that KStars came from Ubuntu
packages, and specifically, from edubuntu.  Is anyone familiar with what
ubuntu package provides the kfmclient service?  I suppose edubuntu will need
to be advised of this missing dependency.

thanks,
Jason

--
KStars: KDE Desktop Planetarium