[kde-edu]: KTouch keyboard layouts...

Andreas Nicolai Andreas.Nicolai at gmx.net
Fri May 18 20:01:43 CEST 2007

Hi there,

just as an info: in the current SVN version of KTouch (for KDE4) a new keyboard layout engine is almost ready and works fairly well in the keyboard editor. Unicode characters are fully supported, so every character you can type you can also put on the keyboard. Same with lectures.

One problem that we still haven't solved - because we haven't had yet a good idea on how to do it - is the key-combo problem. Essentially there are two distinct problems to be solved. The first one is to recognize the fully typed character; this one works now thanks to Haavard's recent fix. However, displaying several keys and the order in which they need to be pressed does not work yet (and won't for a while).

As with the old keyboard layout system, you can currently specify for every possible character one target key and one modifier/control key. During the lecture, for instance if you need to type a '$' on an english keyboard, the "4" key _and_ the SHIFT key will be highlighted. The same could be done for deadkeys, for instance if you need to type the 'é' on a german keyboard, the highlighted keys would be "e" and "´". Still the order of typing cannot be specified yet.

Bye,
Andreas

Andreas Nicolai                         anicolai at syr.edu
PhD Candidate, M.A.M.E                  (315) 443-2218
Syracuse University
151 Link Hall
Syracuse, NY, 13244