[kde-edu]: Intent to move Marble into KDE-EDU

Torsten Rahn tackat at kde.org
Wed Mar 7 22:32:58 CET 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 19:28:34 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> How is wikipedi integration done? Are you parsing the html or using the
> webservices api?

Well wikipedia integration currently means that:

- Marble does already make a "good guess" about the URL for the cities.
- Marble will be able to download further information to download the correct
URLs and all the locations that are georeferenced. I'm currently in touch
with Tim Adler from Wikipedia who is also interested in Marble and who has
helped me during Chemnitzer LinuxTage to . This will allow to have localized
entries. We are also trying to figure out possible license issues, but that's
a different topic which I'll tackle in some way (the current data I use
is "debian-safe" and is already packaged in debian).

I'm in contact with Tim Adler to extend this even more.

> Well, i agree it's wrong in filesize, but imho the format is flexible
> enough, i mean, i have 47 maps on SVN contributed by people != me and some
> more (around 20) lying in the HD waiting to be checked and commited.

And? This is about as "right" as letting volunteers create 60 screenshots
create of a PDF document  and trying to claim that this would be a good
replacement for the actual PDF ;-) .

Seriously, it's as easy to create custom data (using Inkscape). For the data
you have it's even easier as that data already exists in vector format and
just needs to be added to marble. And even more important, it's more
flexible: Your maps use different projections (without a way to tell which
ones), you can't zoom in, move left, or right, or do other stuff.
With marble you can reuse the same vector data to create timezone maps,
topographical maps, political maps, weather data, temperature maps, humidity
maps, etc., you can just display certain countries only etc.

Torsten