[kde-edu]: Step: interactive physical simulator

Vladimir Kuznetsov ks.vladimir at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 13:16:12 CET 2007

Hello !

On 1/28/07, RalfGesellensetter <rgx at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Samstag 27 Januar 2007 19:57 schrieb Vladimir Kuznetsov:
> > Currently Step is based on Qt4, but I think it can surely benefit
> > from KDE technologies and possibly kde-edu can benefit from it too
> > (any chances for inclusion?). So I have an idea to port it to KDE4.
>
> Dear Vladimir, I am quite impressed of STEP. Actually, when I was young
> and had loads of spare time, I started developping simulations myself:
> Did you think about adding simulations about
> - gravity (planets surrounding a sun)
Step already has it ! Actually you can easily simulate Solar system
with Step just now (you should just add GravitationalForce to your
experiment).

> - stochastic/chaotic behavior (people at a cocktail party, opinions...)
> - WATOR: Predator-Prey Simulation
This is somehow beyond physical simulations, but can be quite
interesting anyway ! I think that it can be quite easily implemented
with StepCore, but user interface needs more thinking...

Thanks a lot for your suggestion !

> More ideas could be found in some Java Applets out there:
> http://www.schulphysik.de/java1.html
> http://www.jgiesen.de/welcomeEnglish.htm
>
> As a teacher (not for physics though), I am interested in evaluating,
> localising, and promoting your STEP application.
Thanks again !

> Kind regards
> Ralf.
>
> P.S.: As for project names I regard it as plus if google will find the
> right page right away. From this point of view, Katomics is a better
> name than STEP or Kalzium (sorry, Carsten).
May be it's not to late for a new name... I've just wanted the name to
be short and rememberable, and Step fulfils this purpose, but if you
have other ideas please share them !

--
         Best Regards,
           Vladimir