[kde-edu]: KAlgebra addition proposal

Aleix aleixpol at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 18:31:39 CET 2007

On 2/5/07, RalfGesellensetter <rgx at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am Montag 05 Februar 2007 16:35 schrieb RalfGesellensetter:
>
> > thank you for telling us about KAlgebra. I must admit: Although I
>
> > have been monitoring free math software quite a while, I never heard
>
> > of it before.
>
> Dear Alex,
>
> one update, please: Actually, kalgebra is packaged for Debian/testing
> (version 0.5-1). Just installed it and kind of remember having tested it
> before.

This version is quite old (I think that from november 2005), anyway the way
you can use it is more or less the same. Less bugs and more features but the
same :P.

Against kmplot it has the benefit of 3D-graphs. On the other hand, I need to
> get used to the fortran syntax "**" for powers. The console is nice (I
> suppose) for advanced users and for simplifications. It seems however as
> there is no l10n to German yet (please tell us, if you have po files that we
> can translate).

You can use ** and ^ for powers.  The console is nice for using it as a
calculator (future versions will be able to simplificate). It can use
functions, load some little scripts, etc.
There is no l10n for German (there is for Portuguese, French, Catalan and
Spanish). You can translate it if you want but this version (the kde3 one)
is a bit alone. Now I'm working with the qt4 which has much more things but
hasn't any l10n yet. If you want to try it, you can compile it from svn, it
is explained in my first mail.

After zooming in (to a very low scale) I failed to find the button to zoom
> out again. Any hint?

You can zoom out with the "-" key and the mouse wheel, in the new version
there is an option to restore the viewport. I've been told several times
about it, I'll have to change it, don't know how yet.

Thank you for your work.