[kde-edu]: copyright & kvtml and still a lot of things to do - get involved

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at gmx.de
Wed Dec 12 12:13:42 CET 2007

Hi list,

lazy as I am, also not a lawyer, I had no answer to the copyleft question.
I talked to someone who knows it better today, so here is what I found out:
Contributions to the KDE-project which includes the kvtml stuff have to be
according to:
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy/Draft

This boils down to GPL/LGPL or BSD basically.

CC (Creative Commons) is not accepted by Debian as free.
Debian has high and good copyright standards, so if we want redistributable
files, it would be great to adhere to that.

Of course for personal use, do not care about this. But keep in mind, to let
everyone profit the above licenses are best.
As far as I know the FDL (free document license) is also problematic with
Debian, the reason to simply suggest using GPLv2 or later in Parley.

Now you might think I'm lazy (you would be right), because I'll call for help
here.

We now have about 100 vocabulary documents, some without license some with
rather unknown origin.

I do not want to have to keep up with this mess and keep adding them manually
to the website.
I wrote a little script to quickly generate the necessary html for the web
site an the Get Hot New Stuff (Download new vocabulary from within the
program) files.

So far this is not very useful, as lots of information is not in the files.
I would really like it if someone helped with looking at the files, eventually
contacting authors and cleaning up in general.

It will be very easy to have one page for each language which only lists the
documents that contain a certain language for example.

If you have a little time to spare and want to get involved, please let me
know!

I'd also love to have people that are good in writing texts, to get better
info on the web pages and to contact some other projects which have lots of
vocabularies to find out if we can cooperate with them (or at least steal
their data ;).

All these things do not involve programming (join doing that as well if you
like to). And I know they are not very exiting at first, but talking to many
cool geeky people that produce interesting stuff will be fun.
So come on, let's get this mess cleaned up.

Frederik

Oh, and drop in at #kde-edu on freenode irc.