[kde-edu]: test application

Matt Williams matt at milliams.com
Fri Dec 7 16:55:37 CET 2007

On Friday 07 December 2007 13:28:53 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007 06:13:32 pm Nick Shaforostoff wrote:
> > did anyone have a look at
> > http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/iTest?content=57550
> > to replace keduca?
>
> Probably the current KEduca maintainer can have a close look to iTest,
> especially to the server/client framework which looks really smart and is
> absolutely needed. Maybe the author can be contacted?
>
> What I would like to see in KEduca regarding feedback I got from teachers
> is HTML output and use of ODF formats. No .keduca or .itdb or whatever own
> format.
> That's just my 2 cents!
>
> Anne-Marie
>
> PS: What about a workgroup on KEduca? Workgroup = defining the features
> such an app should have, get 1 or 2 teachers involved, maybe do a survey
> and meet for a week-end in the Spring to work on it (what about a school IT
> lab to try it?). Just an idea, (maybe a dream ;-) Matt, what do you think?

I agree that some sort of idea what teachers actually want from a test app is
needed. For example, at the moment, KEduca can only do multiple choice
questions. Is there a need for a wider choice of question types, greater
freedom on marking schemes etc.

HTML output is certain to happen, but as for ODF support, I've been thinking
about it and I can't really see how to fit this in. Do they want to be able
to write/edit their tests in KSpread or is it more that being output results
to a .odt file for printing is wanted? I don't really feel that a 2D
spreadsheet app will provide enough freedom (or even ease of use) for
creating tests.

Regarding client/server support; it's a feature which is definitely on the
todo but not an immediate goal. I've seen a wishlist item or two (which could
be resolved by this) for KEduca 3.

Matt Williams