[kde-edu]: Unmaintained apps in kdeedu
jkeel546 at students.bju.edu
Mon Apr 23 20:17:48 CEST 2007
Kanagram is technically maintained by me, but I've had very little free time to work on it (right now I'm finishing up my second semester of University for this year). In two weeks, I'll be out for the summer. At that time, I'd like to say I'd have plenty of free time to work on Kanagram, but I'll be doing a redesign of the "What's This?" help system for Google Summer of Code, so I'm very uncertain whether I'll have time to work on it. The main tasks as I see them for KDE 4 are:
1. Use SVG graphics to make things scalable (possibly including a feature to use user-created themes)
2. Revamp the NewStuff code, allowing the user to upload vocabularies, make sure downloading works smoothly, etc.
AFAIK, there are no open bugs, and no major issues other than these two. If anyone thinks differently, don't hesitate to speak up. As I said before, I'd love to be able to work on Kanagram this summer, and if I get the time, I will definitely do so. But I'm just not certain I will have the time if Real Life gets in the way.
BTW, thanks, annma, for bringing up this topic. This is an important discussion to have.
>>> Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr> 04/23/07 2:04 PM >>>
Quoting Urs Wolfer from the Release Team:
"In order to keep our quality, we should do a general application cleanup over
all modules before the KDE 4.0 release. We have a lot of unmaintained
applications that are horribly broken, apps that have a small userbase or
apps that are to specific to keep them in a mainmodule.
Points for cleanup decisions:
* Is the app well maintained?
* Is the app in a good shape? If not, was it in a good shape in KDE 3 times?
* Are there a lot of issues on b.k.o? Check how often issues are reported.
When has the last issue been reported? If there are less open issues, but the
app is not in a really good shape, this means the app has a small usebase.
* If it is an app with a small userbase, is it in a good shape? If it is, we
can probably move it to extragear.
* Does that app duplicate functions with another app form a mainmodule?
We should decide which applications we are going to drop as soon as possible."
Unmaintained in kdeedu are: KBruch, Kanagram, KLatin and KPercentage.
We have to decide what we do about these apps: are they in good shape enough
to be left in the module, provided we all have a look at them and fix them if
needed, hoping they'll find a maintainer? or are we going to leave them out?
Thanks in advance for any feedback, I'd hate to have to take a decision alone!
kde-edu mailing list
kde-edu at mail.kde.org
More information about the kde-edu