[kde-edu]: KDE/kdeedu/libkdeedu/kdeeduplot

Benoit Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Wed Oct 18 18:09:37 CEST 2006

Unfortunately, a closer look to this paper shows that it's not as good as
it looks. Its label-placement scheme is too rigid, the label's rect must
have the corresponding dot as one of its four corners. That's too rigid,
it would for instance fail on the simple example of a horizontal line with
equally spaced dots, if the spacing is of the order of magnitude of the
label width, as it would be impossible to guess visually to which dot a
label corresponds:

Here are a few dots (the x) with labels as they'd be produced by
their algorithm:

  ...x  x  x  x  x  x...
      Al Cu Fe Ni Mg

As you see, this is not readable.
(To which 'x' does the label 'Fe' refer?)

Anyway, now I'm interested in this problem, so I'll try a few algorithms I
have in mind.

Benoit