[kde-edu]: KSimon = blinKen

RalfGesellensetter rgx at gmx.de
Tue Nov 21 00:59:47 CET 2006

Am Montag 20 November 2006 19:09 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> We use wave files, that's exactly why i asked for the sounds you
> think that are better ;-)
>
> ls `kde-config --prefix`/share/apps/blinken/sounds/
>
> Will give the sounds we currently use.

Hey, Astals, now we are getting closer ;)

Each wave file [1-4].wav in /usr/share/apps/blinken/sounds (Debian-Edu)
is approx. 18k of size. Audacity reveals furthermore that all sounds
are 16 bit wide, mono, 44.1 kHz rate, but as short as 1/5 of a second.
All sounds occur to be simple sine waves without any envelope. Those
frequencies I could measure:
1.wav: 500 Hz (B4)
2.wav: 800 Hz (G5)
3.wav: 1100 Hz (C#6)
4.wav: 1400 Hz (F6)

So, we have a two disharmonic tritone intervals B - F and G-C#.
My suggestion (and if you are interested I could submit some actual
files within a week) would be to have likewise small wav files
containing more natural (acoustic) sounds, that might last somewhat
longer (up to 1/2 second) but get along with 32 or even 22 kHz. I'd
stick to 16 bit for now, don't know if you can handle ogg files.

Virtually, it is possible to reuse one single sound wav and resampling
it in different rates. Likewise it would be possible to depend on sound
generators included in common sound libraries - but here I lack in
knowledge.

Now, what do you think?
Kind regards
Ralf.