[kde-edu]: Kig help needed! Don't know what do demo...

Maurizio Paolini paolini at dmf.unicatt.it
Thu Jan 26 19:13:07 CET 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 04:06:53PM +0100, RalfGesellensetter wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 26 Januar 2006 10:19 schrieb Carsten Niehaus:
> > http://dmf.unicatt.it/~paolini/conferenze/vicenza2005/
>
> yes, this looks nice, we should localize it.

Of course that would be fine with me!

> with me, too, *.kig is not by default associated with kig. anyway by
> decault kwrite is associated.

That could be fixed by manually adding an association (in kde from
Configure Konqueror -> File Associations, then select application and
you should find an entry for x-kig).  All the association information
is perhaps contained in /usr/share/mimelnk/application/x-kig.desktop
(uhm, there is also a "X-KDE-AutoEmbed=false" which looks interesting)
which should be part of the kig package.

> alas, I can't check on my PC at the mo, kig seems to be broken (crashes)
>
> kig --version
> Qt: 3.3.4
> KDE: 3.3.2
> Kig: v0.9.0

Please be more specific, which example are you trying?  Does kig crash also
with the simplest example?  In case of crash the most important information
is the "assertion failure" that sometimes appear on the terminal from which
you run kig.
In principle your version of kig (0.9.0) is not very old, however the examples
contained in my page where obtained with the development version.  I tested
them with the kig version shipped with kde 3.5 (kig version 0.10.5) and they
work with the exception of the heptagonal hyperbolic tessellation which makes
use of features not present in that version of kig.
Since I spend a lot of effort in trying to maintain backword compatibility
in kig I am interested in knowing if some recent kig file does not work with
older kig versions (of course this cannot be avoided completely).

Cheers,
Maurizio