[kde-edu]: Starting work in KDE4

Andreas Nicolai Andreas.Nicolai at gmx.net
Sun Apr 23 17:50:38 CEST 2006

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions. QT4 is compiling right now (and probably for the
next 2 hours :-)

> I do it the same way as Carsten now, after messing around with one user
> for a while.  The only annoyance for me is that I edit the code using
> KDevelop executed as my "jharris" user, but the files reside in the
> "kde-devel" user's directory.  So when I run "svn up", any modified
> files are no longer writable by jharris (so I have to "chmod g+w" them
> as kde-devel).

Here the umask command may help. You can set the new file creation mask to
something that your other developer user can read+write, so for simplicity,
you could use umask in your bashrc as:

umask g=rwx

and thus all your files created (e.g. by KDevelop) will get a rw flag for the
users group, which the kde4 user belongs to as well.

Andreas