[kde-edu]: Fwd: Re: forward message

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Tue Sep 13 02:08:12 CEST 2005

> HI,
> I had a very similar idea: an application for showing a timline. But I
> *dreamed* of that application to be a frontend for something webbased. A
> wiki-style thing where you can enter historical dates and show them as
> timelines. There could be a tagging system: dates of popular persons, wars,
> politcal decisions, for special countries...
> This are huge amounts of data, nobody can enter only a significant bit of it.
> So a way to self-create and distribute this data is needed... perhaps this
> can also be done with KHotNewStuff...

I really am quite fuzzy when it comes to the term "web-based" application. Does
that simply mean something you can view in a webpage, or like those database
cgi type things that take data from a table and make pages on the fly from it. Or
... ?

My idea was to maybe eventually have it as a multimedia timeline,
depending on the options chosen for the fianl product. ie: a printout
for a project, or a computer presentation, with pictures, sound or even
maybe animations. Making an interactive timeline.

One question, I was thinking that the printing part might have to be
through latex/tex, which I have used, but would xml also do the same
job? I am not at all familiar with xml except of an awareness that it
has become very important for document formatting and database stuff.
Could you direct me to a good tutorial so I can begin to understand it?

Shelagh