[kde-edu]: FW: kde edutainment project suggestion...

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sun Sep 11 18:11:15 CEST 2005

On Sunday 11 September 2005 06:56, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Well, at home when i question the validity of a word we look for it in the
> dictionary. What if we are playing a 1 vs 1 game via network and you
> question my word? Who decides if the word is valid?

Google!

Seriously, that gives me an idea.  If you search for a term at Google that is
a dictionary word, you get a link to a dictionary website for that search
term at the top of the page.  If it isn't a dictionary word, you don't get a
link.  So, I think this presents us with a very simple solution to this
issue.  KScrabble could silently search the term at Google, and parse the
returned search HTML page for a link to the dictionary page.  If the link is
found, the word is valid.

Not sure how easy it would be to localize; for how many languages does google
provide this service?  Also, it would obviously only work if the network was
available.

Jason
--
KStars: KDE Planetarium