[kde-edu]: Kurriculum

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Tue Sep 6 17:28:52 CEST 2005

Hola

I though I should write a short "What is Kurriculum"-Email:

Kurriculum is found in

branches/work/kde4/playground/edu/kurriculum

To compile it you need unsermake 0.4 (latest svn), kdelibs and qt-copy, both
version 4. KDE 3.3.x and Qt 3.3 will not work, neither will automake. You can
see it in websvn here: [1]

Kurriculum will be that Qt4/KDE4 version of my exam-thesis. That was a
Linux/Windows application written in wxWidgets [2]. In Málaga I showed it to
the kdeedu-folks and we agreed I should start porting it to Qt4/KDE4. The
purpose of my thesis was to deliver an application that will show "tasks" to
students. As it was a chemical application a task was mostly an experiment.
You can have a look here: [3]

Kurriculum will *not* be chemistry-specific. It will *not* be
science-specific. I want it to be able to display tasks in religious
education as well (just a randomly selected subject).

Everything will be xml-based (the description of the tasks for example). We
will have a plugin-structure. With that Kurriculum will be able to load
Kalzium-plugins like the nuclideboard, the perdidic table, the
equiation-solver and so on. Of course it will also have
wikipedia-integration. We will add usage of KHotNewstuff.

I know that somebody already complained about certain things here. But instead
of complaining we need a wellstructured TODO. In the next weeks I will try to
make it as good as my old application (with the great name "ChExp") so that
we can play around with it.

If you have any idea: please speak up. I will also ask the Skolelinux-guys on
Friday for ideas in a BOF.

Carsten

[1] http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/kde4/playground/edu/kurriculum/
[2] http://www.wxwidgets.org/