[kde-edu]: kstars: hardware clock is GMT

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Tue Nov 8 15:24:09 CET 2005

Hello,

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 05:38, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> UT, which is what I want.
>
> being a ham radio operator and an amateur astonomer, it's
> always been easier to have my computers on GMT.

Ok, I see.  No, KStars doesn't account for this configuration.  You can file a
wish at bugs.kde.org.

In the meantime, you can create a custom geographic location for yourself.  In
the Set Location window, when your home location is selected in the list,
you'll see all of its data in the fields at the bottom of the window,
including its timezone information.  You can simply set the UT offset to 0.00
and the DST rule to "--".  You also might want to rename the city (if you
live in "Springfield", you could rename it "Springfield (UT)", for example).
Then press the "Add to List" button, which will make this custom location
available in future sessions.  If you leave it set on this location, it will
startup the next time with it selected as well, and the clock will be set to
UT.

Unfortunately, you won't have access to the true local time in the program,
but at least the sky will display correctly.

hope it helps,
Jason

--
KStars: KDE Desktop Planetarium