[kde-edu]: kstars as root window

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Nov 7 20:38:25 CET 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Jason Harris wrote:

>> running fvwm2
>>
> You'll have to find out if it allows you to use a program to generate the
> background.

have been using xplanet as my root window for many years. It
wakes up every 5 mins and draws a new root window. All I do
is add a line to the .fvwm2rc script to Exec xplanet on
startup (with parameters for orientation etc) in demon mode.

> You don't have to know much about DCOP; it's basically just a way to control
> KDE programs with shell scripts.  Just use the KStars Script Builder tool
> (Ctrl+B in KStars) for a nice GUI that will create the shell script for you,
> then feed the filename of the script to the kstars command line.

ran your script as

kstars --script lookingsouth.kstars

and get a window with icons etc. I was looking just for the
window with no icons. (Presumably I can arrange the size
later.)

If I use the --dump option I get a png for that invocation,
but I don't know how to load a new png every 5 mins into the
root window.

Thanks Joe