[kde-edu]: KDE/kdeedu

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Wed Nov 2 16:49:33 CET 2005

El Miércoles, 2. Noviembre 2005 03:13, Peter Hedlund escribió:
> I need to be educated on what this is supposed to do. Several of the libs
> in libkdeedu has this, whereas one is updated (?) to 3:5:0. Can a guru look
> in to this?

Run 'info libtool', if you want to know the reasoning.
There are basically 3 versioning schemes involved with each library:
- KDE version (doesn't matter in Makefile.am)
- libtool version (the one we're talking about)
- soname version (e.g. libfoo.so.x.y.z) (do NOT care about this one when using
libtool)

The libtool version consists of 3 parts:
current:revision:age

3:0:2 means that it's interface 3, backwards compatible with 2 and 1
(supposedly because no methods were removed, but only added), and it's
implementation 0 of this interface, e.g. caused by major KDE releases with
API changes. The next minor KDE release would then lead to 3:1:2, if sources
are changed.

Josef