[kde-edu]: Re: branches/work/kde4

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Fri Jun 17 06:13:55 CEST 2005

Hi Laurent,

Laurent Montel wrote:
> I think that it's not good.
> Me and other guys worked to port it to kde4.
> So now don't think that we (I speak for me here) will work on to port it after
> kde 3.5...

I'm sorry to hear you are dissatisfied.

Can you explain further what problem you have with this move?  I suspect
you may be thinking that we have thrown away the work you did, but this
is not the case.

Perhaps you could read the thread discussing the move:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=111892699700001&r=1&w=2

and especially this message:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-edu-devel&m=111893815527325&w=2

We were concerned about not removing the existing work.  In fact, our
original idea was to move the branch, not remove it.  However, we were
told that this was unnecessary since SVN preserves the deleted branch.
Only when we were assured that the existing work would not be lost, did
we even consider deleting the branch.

Please understand our motivation for this: the current 3.5 branch of
kdeedu is not static, we expect to make substantial changes to it
between now and the 3.5 freeze.  We are worried that, when it comes time
to port to Qt4, the kde4 and kde-3.5 branches will have diverged so far
as to make the merge very difficult.  It will be much easier to merge
when the "old" branch is no longer being developed.  We are simply
trying to send the signal that we are not yet ready to have kdeedu move
toward qt4 at this time.

I hope you will contribute to the kdeedu porting effort when the time
comes, if you have time.  That's totally up to you, though, of course.

sincerely,
Jason