[kde-edu]: kig & Python scripting

Noel Bush noel at x-31.com
Fri Jul 1 15:05:08 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to find out whether I'm doing something wrong, or just have
an incorrect version.  The Kig documentation says that it's possible to
use Python scripting via the "Objects > Other > Python Script" menu
option, but I don't find that option.  I have version 0.9.0.

By the way, why is it that this app (and so many others) are glommed
together into a single RPM package?  Doesn't that make it a lot harder
to keep each package up to date (because you have to wait for all the
others to justify releasing a big new package), and doesn't it tend to
make each particular app get "swallowed up" by the package identity?

I can't find a separate web page for Kig itself, just a sort of
"directory" page in the larger "kde-edu" package.  Is this the only
place to find info about the project?  Is there a place I can find
newer/alternate versions of the project that can be installed as
separate RPMs without forcing a conflict with the main kde-edu package?

Or if the only way for me to get the Python scripting support is to
recompile separately, can I do that in a way that doesn't require me to
force a conflict with kde-edu?

Thanks,
Noel