[kde-edu]: Re: article for the Dot.

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Jan 27 22:47:18 CET 2005

Jason Harris writes:

> Hello!  I just learned that KStars and Kig have won the QtForum.org
> programming contest!  I'd like to have a story about it posted on
> dot.kde.org, but I didn't want to just submit a story using the form
> without coordinating with Dominique and the Dot editors first.

Cool :) Congratulations with KStars' first place of course, to you and
the rest of the team.. :) I personally can very well live with losing
against KStars ;)

> I have attached a draft text for the story, please feel free to edit
> this (especially Domi and the Kstars/Kig teams)!  Hopefully we can
> converge on final text in short order.

Here is my version, I only filled in the Kig statement..

cheers
domi

---------------------- Title: KStars and Kig Win Qt Programming
Contest Department: we'd-like-to-thank-the-academy

Lead Summary: <a href="http://edu.kde.org/kstars">KStars</a> and <a
href="http://edu.kde.org/kig">Kig</a> have won the <a
href="http://www.qtforum.org/thread.php?postid=21864">QtForum.org
Programming Contest</a>, sponsored by <a
href="http://www.trolltech.com">Trolltech</a>!  The contest selected
the best Educational software written with the Qt libraries, and
these two programs from the <a href="http://edu.kde.org">KDE
Edutainment Project</a> took first and second prize.

Main Body:

KStars, a desktop planetarium program, took the $1500 first prize.
"On behalf of the KStars team, I'd like to thank the contest judges
and Trolltech," said lead developer Jason Harris.  "This recognition
of our work is extremely exciting and gratifying.  The KStars team
decided before entering the contest that we would donate any prize
money to <a href="http://www.kde.org/areas/kde-ev/">KDE e.V.</a> We
feel strongly that we should use our success to nurture the further
development of KDE, without which KStars would never have been
possible.  Thank you very much to our users and fellow kde-edu
developers; you've all had a part in KStars."

Kig, a program for exploring geometric constructions, took the $750
second prize.  "Hoorah!" cried out maintainer Dominique Devriese.
"The Kig team and myself feel very proud of winning this prize.  Of
course, we would have liked to come in first, but winning against
KStars could never have felt right ;).  My personal thanks go out to
the rest of the fantastic Kig team ( Maurizio and Pino to name two )
and furthermore, we'd like to thank Kig users and bug reporters, all
KDE-Edu people, the contest jury and TrollTech and all of our fellow
open source developers..."