[kde-edu]: Building a basic edu-development tool

Clay Harryman clayharryman at houston.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 14:28:24 CET 2005

>Probably the easiest way to get started is to take some current project
>that will give us most of the basics that we can build on, maybe Arnold's
>work in kdenonbeta, or perhaps look at KDevelop, chop what we don't need
>and go from there.
>Most of what we could need is already part of KDevelop.
>
>All the gurus can't stop shouting to use KParts so maybe we should.

Are you suggesting we should build a series of standard edu-widgets and
code snippets?  That sounds like a good way to go.

>If we are in any way to live up to our edu label we are going the have to
>teach using pictures and sound.
>Maybe make the edu framework a window to teach through. "skin" it for the
>different grades, and make the kde-edu tools available from this framework.
>
>"Theory" heavy subjects, like maths could make more use of the animated
>svg and audio via smil 2.0 with help from edu tools to show application.
>"Experience" heavy subjects, like languages could make more use of "show
>and test" kde-edu tools.

I agree.  With a standard set of tools, I wouldn't be 'afraid' (though
that's the wrong word, I can't seem to find the right one) to get
started.  I'm still new to this whole open-source thing -- I am fresh
from the world of m$.  I would be happy to help design a set of tools
that I believe would work well on my elementary-age kids.

Adios,
Clay