[kde-edu]: [KDE-EDU] KMathTool, Finding roots of Cubic polynomial

Trenton Carr trentoncarr at telkomsa.net
Mon Jan 17 18:01:23 CET 2005

Hello all

I'm trying to implement a class that takes the (math)function of a
hyperbola and parabola, solves them simultaneously by finding the roots of
a cubic polynomial. This gives the intercepts between the two.

ie:	hyperbola y = k/x
	parabola  y = ax^2+bx+c

solve simultaneously:	ax^3+bx^2+cx-k

this can be solved by factorizing the cubic by factor theorem, like so,

		(x+?)(ax^2+bx+c)	where ? = Int. 	? can be found by inspection and
algebraic long division.

Does anyone know how to do this programmagically.
I've googled myself silly and to be honest, I don't even know where to
start asking for help with this.

I need this to calculate the intecepts between a hyperbola and a parabola
which I'm plotting for KMathTool.

Any help from you TechnoMages would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Trenton

--
Master Maths George.
Postnet Suite #109                Tel: +27(0)44 873 4683