[kde-edu]: Could kvoctrain detect noun's gender automatically?

Aivo Jürgenson kala at tux.linux.ee
Mon Jan 17 13:44:27 CET 2005

Hello,

Sorry, if this has been discussed before, I tried to search the archives, not
with no success.

When I tried to enter some words in French to kvoctrain, I noticed that one
needs to specifically note, if the noun is a female, male or neutral. Only
those nouns, for which the gender is specified, will be queried in the article
training.

However, when describing the language, one indicates the articles, which are
female, male or neutral. So, it should be possible for kvoctrain to
automatically determine, if the word is a noun and which is the noun's gender.
For example, if I enter 'le directeur', kvoctrain should know that this is a
male noun? Or perhaps an example from German, if I enter 'der Hund', kvoctrain
should know that this is a male noun?

Is this just a hopeful wish and some actual code is missing to implement such
feature, or am I just doing something wrong ?

Aivo Jürgenson, kala at linux.ee