[kde-edu]: Fwd: Framework Webpage! Join the fun!

CPH CP.Hennessy at openapp.biz
Fri Feb 4 13:01:39 CET 2005

On Thursday 20 January 2005 23:02, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today, while I was for a short time on IRC, we (Pino, Arnold and me)
> chatted seriously about a KDE-Edu framwork, having in mind what CPH stated
> in his mail "GUI policies and styles".
> We decided to start putting the ideas on a webpage so to keep them and
>  improve them.
>
> So I wrote a very bare starting page for tha
> http://edu.kde.org/development/framework.php
>
> Any idea is welcome, the better would be to express the idea the more
> precisely possible or to illustrate it with an example. For example about
> the fonts, try defining "big font" and so on.
>
> So we need to make this page a pool of nice ideas! Please send your ideas
>  here or, if you have cvs access, add them directly.
>
> 3, 2, 1, start!

Hi,
  I was at a school yesterday and had some interesting conversations with some
teachers. I was wondering if others have talked to teachers and gotten
similar responses. Some of the things they commented on include :

1) it's importand for younger kids that applications start full screen
2) it would be quite interesting to have a "run a test" mode for some of the
applications i.e. name, start time, questions answered correctly, etc which
would be saved in a database for further analysis. I think that this
framework would be quite useful for many kdeedu projects.
3) using large cursors for younger children's applications is preferable

I also think that all applications should have a "--fullscreen" option and
the items in the main part of the screen should also be resized when in
fullscreen mode (e.g. the canvas in kturtle, the hangman, etc ).

Finally it may be interesting to look at other open source projects and try to
agree on common formats with other equivalent applications e.g. the geography
module in gcompris uses XML, maybe kgeography can share it.

I hope that this helps,
CPH