[kde-edu]: KVocTrain import filter in the LingoTeach project

Peter Hedlund hedlund at scripps.edu
Sun Apr 24 23:46:26 CEST 2005

Hi Marcus,

On Sunday 24 April 2005 4:40 am, Marcus von Appen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to inform you, that the LingoTeach project[0] has a first
> import plugin[1] for the KVocTrain vocabulary files. Although it cannot use
> the whole subset of the KVocTrain specification, it is capable to import
> basic one-to-one matches for two-language vocabulary entries of
> KVocTrain.

Great!

> It would be very nice, to see someting similar for KVocTrain, so some
> sort of (more or less) direct interoperability could be created for both
> projects.

I will look in to the import/export filter situation in the near future.

> Maybe the creation of a common vocabulary standard for language
> teaching/learning projects is of interest for anyone here, so that a
> general specification could be created, which guarantees
> interoperability for such a kind of data files and projects.

Yes, this has been discussed several times before. The problem is of course as
usual that someone actually has to do it.

What do you feel is missing in the kvtml-specification?

> Comments and feedback are welcome.

The usual I guess: why start a new project when there are several around
already. Especially if you are interested in interoperability and the reuse
of existing vocabulary data.

Thanks,
Peter