[kde-edu]: KMathTool

Arnold Kraschinski arnold.kraschinski at onlinehome.de
Fri Apr 1 07:02:32 CEST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 31. März 2005 18:59 schrieb Anne-Marie Mahfouf:
> Hi all,
>
> As there are several people interested in a math application, it seems a
> good time to discuss it.
>
> KMathTool is currently developed in kdenonbeta by Trenton. It looks like a
> good platform to start with.
>
> However, I can see several problems:
> (I can post screenshots if some of you want them)
> - target age non defined: areas & perimeters tab is for 9-11 years old
> while vistrig is for older students.
>
> - design: some tabs are designed vertically (area and perimeter) while
> others are designed horizontally (factors)
>
> - is the About tab needed?
>
> - is the tabs design the best?
>
> - will exercises be included as well as some notes? or interactive
> demonstration like in eduKator?
>
> Could we clarify KMathTool aims, design, subjects so we could code it
> quicker with a team?
>
> Regards,
>
> Anne-Marie

Hello,

one thing, that is very bad in my opinion is that parts of KMathTool are only
a cheating program for homework. An educational program should not do that
because it doesn't help pupils it prevents them from thinking.

For example finding prime numbers or finding the faktors of a number.

It's useless if the programm does all the work. It would be better if the user
enters his solution and the program tells if it is right or wrong. For
example the user enters the factors of a number and the programs tells if the
factors are correct and if they are all factors. Or the user enters a
factorization with prime numbers and the program tells if it is correct.

Homework cheating doesn't help anything.

Arnold